- Believes tht the federal government has the authority to prosecute only three crimes: treason, counterfeiting, and piracy. Believes that all other federal crime legislation should be revoked.
- Opposes capital punishment.
- Supports the abolition of all federal antidrug legislation.
- Has personally co-sponsored bills that would legalize medical marijuana and allow the use of industrial-grade hemp.
- Believes that the Federal Communications Commission has no authority to regulate the content of broadcast communications.
- Tends to oppose legislation written to secure church-state separation.
- Strong supporter of the individual rights interpretation of the Second Amendment.
- Opposes the Federal Marriage Amendment.
- Believes that states that choose to recognize same-sex marriage should be allowed to do so without federal interference.
- Supports the Defense of Marriage Act, and opposes the extension of federal marriage benefits to include same-sex couples.
- In 1999, supported an amendment that would have withdrawn federal support for adoptions by unmarried couples.
- Consistent opponent of post-9/11 civil liberties abuses, in virtually every possible context.
- Voted against the PATRIOT Act.
- Opposes Roe v. Wade.
- Opposes all federal laws banning or restricting abortion and birth control, believing that these are matters relegated to state control under the Tenth Amendment.
- Opposes citizenship track for undocumented immigrants.
- Supports revising the Constitution to revoke the citizenship of infants born in the United States to undocumented parents.
- Was one of only 33 members of Congress to vote against renewal of the Voting Rights Act in 2006.
- Believes that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 "violated the Constitution and reduced individual liberty."
- Opposes all federal affirmative action programs.
- Supports civil rights legislation on the state level.