These ten pro-choice quotes will make you think. That's a rare and precious thing in an abortion debate, where the level of discourse is so low that having a real, meaningful discussion about the issue is usually impossible.
1. Joycelyn Elders:"We really need to get over this love affair with the fetus and start worrying about children."
2. Katha Pollitt:"Young women need to know that abortion rights and abortion access are not presents bestowed or retracted by powerful men (or women) -- Presidents, Supreme Court justices, legislators, lobbyists -- but freedoms won, as freedom always is, by people struggling on their own behalf."
3. Kristin Luker:"Pro-choice and pro-life activists live in different worlds, and the scope of their lives, as both adults and children, fortifies them in their belief that their own views on abortion are the more correct, the more moral, and more reasonable. When added to this is the fact that should 'the other side' win, one group of women will see the very real devaluation of their lives and life resources, it is not surprising that the abortion debate has generated so much heat and so little light."
4. Ayn Rand:"One method of destroying a concept is by diluting its meaning. Observe that by ascribing rights to the unborn, i.e., the nonliving, the anti-abortionists obliterate the rights of the living."
5. Germaine Greer:"Too many women are forced to abort by poverty, by their menfolk, by their parents ... A choice is only possible if there are genuine alternatives."
6. Frederica Mathewes-Green:"No woman wants an abortion as she wants an ice cream cone or a Porsche. She wants an abortion as an animal caught in a trap wants to gnaw off its own leg."
7. Hillary Clinton:"I have met thousands and thousands of pro-choice men and women. I have never met anyone who is pro-abortion."
8. Aristotle:"(T)he line between lawful and unlawful abortion will be marked by the fact of having sensation and being alive."
9. Diane British:"If (Vice President Dan Quayle) thinks it's disgraceful for an unmarried woman to bear a child, and if he believes that a woman cannot adequately raise a child without a father, then he'd better make sure that abortion remains safe and legal."
10. Dennis Miller:"And by the way, my belief is that if men were the ones getting pregnant, abortions would be easier to get than food poisoning in Moscow."